Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Old 515 needs remagging

  1. #1
    Junior Hostboard Member Rog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 9th, 2013
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    8
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Old 515 needs remagging

    Hello Altec aficionados

    During the reconing of my two 515s, one suffered a drop and this moved the alnico slug and the moveable iron cap that makes the inner pole piece. I've managed to centre the two parts and once reconed (sadly, with OEM parts) I found that the efficiency much poorer than its brother. I used a 1.5v battery and measured cone deflection:- 4mm vs. 6mm.

    On the assumption that the recones were identical, I determined to have the weaker one remagged and compare the result to the stay-at-home 515. Easy to say! In Australia, there are few repairers with the facility to demag/remag alnico motors. The one that bothered to respond and reckons they can do the work is 3000km away and can do the work only if the basket is removed. This suits me as the package can be smaller but prepping the motor for transport is still daunting. I plan to insert shims into the gap but that won't prevent a mechanical shock moving the magnet assembly.

    I fly the 3000km a couple of times a year so propose to lodge the motor as check-in luggage and will 'request' that it is "handled like eggs".

    I'd welcome any suggestions on the best way to pack the motor.

    With air security tight, I wonder if a strong magnet might attract attention...?

    Thanks from the other West Coast
    Roj

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Old 515 needs remagging


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Old 515 needs remagging

    Check regulations, strong magnets used to be banned on commercial airlines. Not sure if that's changed.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Old 515 needs remagging

    Its been two years since I did it, but I have carried two 12" woofers in my carry-on before. They went through the xray in my backpack, and no one said anything. I even called my local airport security and asked first.

    I would think just the magnet section of the 515 would be fine.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Old 515 needs remagging

    Rog, When Plessy-ROLA ceased loudspeaker manufacture in Australia their speaker design engineer, Mike Lorantz, started his own loudspeaker manufacturing and service company(like GPA) near Melbourne.
    Mike remagged my 802s and provided test certificates to show Gauss levels.

    Contact him here: Lorantz Audio - Coming Soon The website is a new development. Lorantz has been around for yonks.

    If he can't do the job because of commitments he should be able to steer you to someone who can, possibly in W.A..

    Qantas requirement: Dangerous Goods | Qantas Scroll down to Magnetic Materials. The East-West instruction needs clarification.
    Last edited by mah; July 29th, 2017 at 12:56 AM.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member magnarc's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2005
    Posts
    615
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Old 515 needs remagging

    I seem to recall someone mentioning that Etone in Sydney can also recharge Alnico.

  6. #6
    Junior Hostboard Member Rog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 9th, 2013
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    8
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Old 515 needs remagging

    Quote Originally Posted by magnarc View Post
    I seem to recall someone mentioning that Etone in Sydney can also recharge Alnico.
    I shooda said who did and did not respond.

    Sadly, Etone is the one provider that hasn't bothered to respond to a succession of emails whereas Sydney Speaker Hosp did respond with request for measurements (unfamiliar with 515 or not web connected?) and pics. Then they responded with a decent price (AUD$50). When the travel is imminent, I'll call both and extract firm understandings from both as to which can do th work fast if I give them a few days notice of my arrival. I'll be in Sydney only a week so won't have time to join a queue. I may visit both before parting with my hard earned.

    I think that there are other providers or some who pass on the work to others but my googling failed to ferret-out more than two who claim to provide the service and only one who wanted to discuss it.

    Do USA providers preserve original magnet polarity or just unzap and Rezap to their formula? (I do live in the Southern Hemishere so need to take that into account .

    Thanks for entertaining my novice questions

    Roj

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by mah View Post
    Rog, When Plessy-ROLA ceased loudspeaker manufacture in Australia their speaker design engineer, Mike Lorantz, started his own loudspeaker manufacturing and service company(like GPA) near Melbourne.
    Mike remagged my 802s and provided test certificates to show Gauss levels.

    Contact him here: Lorantz Audio - Coming Soon The website is a new development. Lorantz has been around for yonks.

    If he can't do the job because of commitments he should be able to steer you to someone who can, possibly in W.A..

    Qantas requirement: Dangerous Goods | Qantas Scroll down to Magnetic Materials. The East-West instruction needs clarification.
    Thanks mah,

    I've had contact with Lorantz several years ago, about what I cannot recall but remagging was probably it. I'll give them a call and see if they know of a local who can do the work.

    My travel won't include Melbourne this coming trip, so if there isn't a local provider, I'll have to do the Dangerous Goods with Qantas (my preferred carrier) and opt for a Sydney provider.

    My technique is a bit crude so I do like the idea of a field strength result. I will award the work to they who provide that 'finish'.

    Roj.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    Its been two years since I did it, but I have carried two 12" woofers in my carry-on before. They went through the xray in my backpack, and no one said anything. I even called my local airport security and asked first.

    I would think just the magnet section of the 515 would be fine.
    Hello Elitopus1

    These days, I think that a weight limit would be enforced for carry-on. Even if I got on with a motor I'd have to be certain it would go under the coach seat in front as even I, with my usually overweight laptop bag and other stuff, wouldn't put a smallish 11kg object in the o'head bin. A while back, the cabin staff, through their union, were making a bit of noise about safety during turbulence, and talk of enforcing carry-on weight limits ensued...but no action so far. It's a wonder that airlines haven't enforced the rules if only to better know the takeoff weight and better guess the necessary fuel load.

    The "2 degrees of compass shift" rule (Qantas) might beat me, especially once remagged, unless the checked-in item is in a 'big enough' box or I devise some way of shielding the VC area. (The 515 has wonderfully little flux leakage everywhere else. Even the pot-to-front plate interface won't support a paper clip.) A shield that won't present removal problems would be necessary. A disc of mild steel spaced with a similar disc of plastic might work well enough and might obviate the need for shimming the VC gap.

    You've got me thinking...

    Roj.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member LowOhms's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 30th, 2012
    Location
    Warrensburg, MO
    Posts
    516
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Old 515 needs remagging

    Hello,

    A thought, a suggestion to consider, that no one has yet brought up, maybe irrelevant :

    I would suggest you consider to re-magnetize BOTH 515 drivers, so they will be equal to each other, and you will use them that way for decades into the future.

    Three years ago, I had GPA re diaphragm my 802Ds, and re- magnetize BOTH of them, ( when I got back into ALTEC ) - and they were great.

    Thanks, good luck with your 515s down under.

    Low Ohms...... Jeff Medwin



    ( A"7" / A5 - 800s with 515B s and 802Ds, 16 ohms, DIY crossovers / GTO & FKP1 bypass caps, and m22759/11 internal wiring ).

    - - - Updated - - -

    Hi Rog,

    Suggest you TELEPHONE Etone, and do NOT just email them.

    You will get a response if they pick up the phone !!

    Think of Bill H. in the USA, as one example.



    Jeff Medwin
    Last edited by LowOhms; July 29th, 2017 at 11:36 AM.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Old 515 needs remagging

    Yes! Do not do just one! Make sure they're measured, matched too as you may find a damaged magnet. 'We' learned this the hard way [re] zapping 10s of thousands of high performance AlNiCo 5 slotcar motor magnets, not to mention that 'we' found the optimum charge much < than theory, and later, magnetizer manufacturer's recommendations, which typically left them not much stronger than our ferrites done on the same machine, so ideally need someone with Altec experience.

    For sure not the best of comparisons, but considering all the costs of doing this [even us in the USA], can't be too 'picky'/careful or you can potentially have a very expensive 'pano'/'panomaniac' disaster.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Old 515 needs remagging

    Consider purchasing a pair of GPA recone kits and ending up with very high value, down-under, drivers - budget allowing of course.

    Etone phone number: ETONE SPEAKERS PRO AUDIO SPEAKERS PA HI FI HOME THEATRE SPEAKER SYSTEMS SPEAKER REPAIRS RECONE KITS HF DRIVER DIAPHRAGMS CROSSOVERS

    I would talk to Mike at Lorantz, first to see if there is someone in W.A. who can help.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  10. #10
    Junior Hostboard Member Rog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 9th, 2013
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    8
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Old 515 needs remagging

    Quote Originally Posted by LowOhms View Post
    Hello,

    A thought, a suggestion to consider, that no one has yet brought up, maybe irrelevant :

    I would suggest you consider to re-magnetize BOTH 515 drivers, so they will be equal to each other, and you will use them that way for decades into the future.

    Three years ago, I had GPA re diaphragm my 802Ds, and re- magnetize BOTH of them, ( when I got back into ALTEC ) - and they were great.

    Thanks, good luck with your 515s down under.

    Low Ohms......Jeff Medwin


    Hello Jeff ,
    I have considered having both done but will first compare the first remag with the second undamaged 515. If the remag is better then the second will be done in due course. (Time and money factors)

    The logistics of getting a motor on a flight in AUS just became more difficult with some crazies found to be preparing a device to carry a concealed gas container onto a domestic flight with the alleged intent of bringing down the flight.

    Rog



    ( A"7" / A5 - 800s with 515B s and 802Ds, 16 ohms, DIY crossovers / GTO & FKP1 bypass caps, and m22759/11 internal wiring ).

    - - - Updated - - -

    Hi Rog,

    Suggest you TELEPHONE Etone, and do NOT just email them.

    You will get a response if they pick up the phone !!

    Think of Bill H. in the USA, as one example.



    Jeff Medwin
    See embedded reply above(my iPad not yet fully trained).

    That's part of the plan. (I have had the pleasure of emailing Bill but my projects have an agricultural pace so I haven't been inconvenienced)

    Rog

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by mah View Post
    Consider purchasing a pair of GPA recone kits and ending up with very high value, down-under, drivers - budget allowing of course.

    Etone phone number: ETONE SPEAKERS PRO AUDIO SPEAKERS PA HI FI HOME THEATRE SPEAKER SYSTEMS SPEAKER REPAIRS RECONE KITS HF DRIVER DIAPHRAGMS CROSSOVERS

    I would talk to Mike at Lorantz, first to see if there is someone in W.A. who can help.



    I have already reconed with OEM PARTS (I think they are Making Waves parts but supplied through a reseller, Queensland Speaker Repairs. MW won't yet let me see their catalogue, so I'm thinking that they want to supply resellers only). I also reconed with genuine Altec parts 30 years ago.

    The cost of GPA parts/shipping was too great for my meagre resources. The original 515 cones were trashed and the general condition is poor so the 515s are not candidates for full restoration.

    My recent MW VCs are 8ohm with 10mm coil height, being 2mm greater than the pole plate thickness. A little more controlled excursion than the old recone VCs of 8mm, I hope.

    I will talk to Lorantz to remind me of their capabilities and perhaps from them learn if their's a WA repairer with remag facility.

    Thanks for your encouragement
    Rog
    Last edited by Rog; July 31st, 2017 at 07:23 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28261621 times.